EMC announced yesterday the new VMAX family. One of the new features introduced with this new generation is EMC Protectpoint. EMC Protectpoint provides direct application backup from EMC VMAX3 family to a datadomain box with no application or server impact which in turn, eliminates most of the problems with traditional backups we have today with mission critical applications Like Oracle.
- Eliminates backup impact on the application by removing the server from the data path and minimizing the traditional backup window
- Meets application protection SLAs by backing up directly from primary storage to a Data Domain system
- Provides application owners and database administrators with complete control of their own backup, recovery, and replication directly from their native application utilities.
- Eliminates the complexity of traditional backup and introduces unparalleled efficiency by minimizing infrastructure requirements
- EMC Data Protection Advisor will support ProtectPoint in Q4 to provide customers with unified, comprehensive visibility into ProtectPoint backups by monitoring, analyzing, and reporting on the data on the individual devices as well as the flow of data between them
Requirements in the initial release (Q4’14):
- VMAX3 with ProtectPoint license (New Enginuity and new Solutions Enabler are required and will be available in VMAX3 initial release)
- DD4500, DD7200, DD990 with DD OS 5.5
- vDisk Management library
- Protectpoint Controller.
- Fibre Channel card and SAN switch
- Oracle 11g or 12c Database
- UNIX or Linux
How it works !!
EMC ProtectPoint uses the concept of Federated tiered storage . FTS was first introduced in the previous generation of VMAX (VMAX40k, VMAX20K &VMAX10K). FTS gives you the ability to attach an external storage to a Symmetrix array.
This is exactly the same technology will be used in EMC Protectpoint where the external storage in that case will be Data Domain box connected to the VMAX3 Array.
The vDisks presented from Data Domain will be encapsulated. This mode allows the user data to be preserved on the device and This is the only FTS mode supported with ProtectPoint as Data Domain meta data needs to be preserved when configuring external LUNs for ProtectPoint.
For more information about FTS, You can check EMC Solution Enabler v7.6 Array Controls Guide: